They say everything comes in and out of style. Things that were once lamd are now cool... This definitely includes the fanny pack.
In an effort to be hip, fanny packs have been rebranded as "hip bags" in recent years. Don't be fooled, it's the same thing.
Fanny packs have been around for a long time, but they really came into their own in the 1980s, about the same time skateboarding was exploding in popularity.
I still feel it's a little tough to not see fanny packs as a bit silly, but they are so practical for any skater who wanted to stay organized and mobile. The sigma wears off fast.
- Why it's rad: Incredibly affordable, the Everest is functional and has a bit of a cult following... all while looking rad.
- Buy at Amazon
Dakine Classic Hip
- Why it's rad: Dakine has been in the action sports world for years and this bag is the classiest for your fanny.
- Buy at Amazon
- Why it's rad: Looks good and a bit deeper than the others, Herschel keeps it compact and ideal for daily use.
- Buy at Amazon
Fanny packs were originally designed for hikers and other outdoor enthusiasts, but they quickly caught on with skaters. They were the perfect way to carry your stuff without having to worry about it getting in the way of your tricks. You could keep your wallet, keys, phone, and even a skateboard tool in your fanny pack, and you'd never have to worry about dropping anything.
Of course, fanny packs also had a bit of a practical benefit for skaters. They helped to protect your back from getting scraped up when you fell. And if you were wearing a backpack, it could get in the way of your arms when you were trying to do tricks. But a fanny pack was small and lightweight, so it didn't get in your way.
Fanny packs were also a great way to show off your personality. You could get one with your favorite band's logo on it, or one with a cool design. And because fanny packs were so popular, you could always find one that matched the rest of your swag.
So if you're a skater who's looking for a way to stay organized and stylish, a fanny pack is the perfect choice for you. Just don't let anyone tell you that they're lame. They're the OG way to carry your stuff, and they're still as functional as ever.
Let's get into more details...
Things to Consider Before Buying
There are so many options on the market today, let's go through some quick things to consider to best match your needs to your hip pack choice.
- Size: Choose a waist pack that is the right size for your needs. If you only need to carry a few small items, a small waist pack will be sufficient. If you need to carry more items, you may want to choose a larger waist pack or cross body bag.
- Material: Waist packs are typically made of nylon or canvas. Nylon is a lightweight and durable material, while canvas is a more traditional material that is known for its strength. However, there are other more exotic materials such as hemp that could also be considered for a unique look.
- Features: Some waist packs have additional features, such as a water bottle pocket or a built-in RFID blocking pocket.
Types of Fanny Packs / Hip Bags
There are many different types of hip bags available, each with its own unique features. Here are a few of the most common types:
- Waist packs: These are the most basic type of hip bag. They are typically made of nylon or canvas and have a single compartment.
- Crossbody bags: These bags are worn diagonally across the body. They often have multiple compartments and are a good option for carrying a variety of items.
- Sling Bags: These bags are larger than waist packs or crossbody bags and are designed for travel. They often have compartments for storing passports, boarding passes, and other travel documents.
- Hydration packs: These bags have a built-in water reservoir and are a good option for hikers and other outdoor enthusiasts.
Our Review Criteria
We take our recommendations seriously, so let's seriously tell you how we picked out our choices here.
- Brand - There are a lot of bag brands online today. On Amazon especially, there are so many China bags with who knows what kind of name. We stayed away from these and opted for the larger brand names.
- Price - We tried to keep picks in the $30-$80 range, with a few going outside of that. Fanny packs are small! We just couldn't justify an every day carry bag for more than this range without a very specific feature tied to it.
- Reviews - We made sure other reviewers were happy with the bags and there were no glaring red flags that we did not experience, specifically with regards to quality or longevity of the product.
- Skate Features - We aimed to get bags that would have features highly functional for skateboarders and other action sports minded users.
Recommended Waist Packs
A waist pack, also known as a fanny pack, is a small bag that is worn around the waist. This is the most common kind of small bag worn around the waist. It is a convenient way to carry your essentials, such as your wallet, keys, phone, skate tool, chapstick, and other small items.
Waist packs are typically made of nylon or canvas and have a single compartment. They can be adjusted to fit snugly around your waist, so they are comfortable to wear even when you are moving around.
With so many waist packs on the market today, we distilled down this list to the top 6 for you.
Recommended Crossbody Bags
For those looking for more storage, another great option is the cross body bag. You can think of this as something like a mix between a backpack and a fanny pack.
Sometimes a bit more feminine, a crossbody bag is worn diagonally across the body. It is a popular choice for people who are looking for a hands-free way to carry their belongings. Crossbody bags are typically made of leather, canvas, or nylon and have a variety of compartments, making them a good option for carrying a variety of items.
Guys can rock them, but in our opinion, they're a bit more like a practical, active lifestyle purse.
Recommended Sling Bags
Sling bags are going to be a bit bigger than a fanny and a crossbody, but not quite big enough to hit that backpack category. They'll differ from a briefcase in the sense that they are not specific to holding a computer.
Sling bags by this definition are not as common, but they serve a great function to the traveling skateboarder.
Recommended Hydration Packs
Hydration packs are backpacks with the ability to carry a water bladder. Ideal for long distance skateboarding, these bags are designed to hydrate you on the move.
Frequently Asked Questions
A hip bag, also known as a fanny pack, is a small bag that is worn around the waist, over shoulder cross body. It is a convenient way to carry your essentials, such as your wallet, keys, phone, and other small items.
There are many benefits to using a hip bag. Here are a few of them:
- They are very convenient. You can easily reach your belongings without having to take off your backpack or purse.
- They are comfortable to wear. The weight of the bag is evenly distributed around your waist, so it doesn't feel heavy or bulky.
- They are secure. The bag is attached to your waist, so it is less likely to be stolen than a backpack or purse.
- They are stylish. There are many different styles of hip bags available, so you can find one that matches your personal style.
- Everything normally put into pockets can be put into the hip bag, making you more comfortable.